Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 questions
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/06/1998 11:25:27
Oscar Oberg <Oscar.Oberg@abc.se> wrote:
> > There is BA42-A, used in VS3100 M30/38/76 and MV3100 M10/10e, and there is
> > BA42-B, used in VS3100 M40/48 and MV3100 M20/20e. Which one is it?
>
> Beats me. How can I tell?

Find a VS3100 or an MV3100 whose box looks exactly like the one in question,
and tell me its Mxx number. But I can bet that it's BA42-A, since the
difference between BA42-A and BA42-B is the space available for mass storage
devices, BA42-B being bigger. Since the X terminal doesn't have any mass
storage devices and you can't add any unless you also add a controller
daughterboard, it certainly uses BA42-A.

> > > It has a SCSI-like connector but with more pins on the M/B (or what I
> > > assume is the M/B), but I'm not sure what it is. Other than that, it has
> > > no SCSI-like connectors, so it might be SCSI-less.
> >
> > What do you mean by "a SCSI-like connector but with more pins"?
>
> A ribbon cable connector.
>
> > The high-density 68-pin wrong-gender one?
>
> Don't think so.
>
> > This is what all VS3100 models and
> > DS3100/2100 use for the external SCSI connector. What do you mean by "on the
> > M/B"?
>
> M/B = motherboard
>
> > Is it in line with the Ethernet and serial port connectors, or is above
> > the Ethernet connectors?
>
> It's inside.
>
> > In general, is the rear panel layout the same as in VS3100s and
> > DS3100/2100, or is it different?
>
> I don't own a VS3100 so I'm not sure, but they appear to be the same, but
> w/o the SCSI connector

OK, so it doesn't have a mass storage controller daughterboard. The internal
connector is where you would connect one. This connector itself is not SCSI, it
is some kind of a bus (i.e., it has address, data, and control lines). It's not
a generic expansion bus like Q-bus or ISA (that's why BabyVAXen are normally
considered busless), but still a bus (probably the raw CVAX bus, but this is
just a guess).

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 440-449-0299