Subject: Re: TK50Z
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/05/1998 20:54:20
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On February 2, Brian D Chase wrote:

> > I don't know that anyone here is
> > bent on using NetBSD for serious use like say -- running a company.
>
>   Actually, some of us are...

Err, that should be NetBSD/vax.  I know that lots of people use NetBSD on
other platforms to do real world commercial work.  In my experiences I'd
say OSes like Linux and NetBSD hold up better than their commerical
counterparts.  At my last job we dumped 95% of our NT servers for
Linux/Samba which ran a whole hell of lot more reliably than NT ever did.
Yeah for free software...

I would however be surprised if NetBSD/vax systems are used for real world
commerical use.  Primarily because of the lack of raw CPU cycles available
on the systems currently supported.

Then again, I'm not one to judge the merits of a system by its real world
usefulness.  If it runs Unix and can scare the cat then I'm happy with it.

-brian.
---