Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 questions
To: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
From: Oscar Oberg <Oscar.Oberg@abc.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/05/1998 22:11:43
On Thu, 5 Feb 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> Is VT1300 a KA42 system with a different nameplate?

As far as I can tell, yes. It says.. VS42A-BB on the back I think, not
sure. The one I've got is on my desk at work, but I haven't had time to
look into it much.

> What kind of box, BA42-A or BA42-B?

Dunno, but it looks like a VS3100 w/ a different nametag

> 22 MHz (KA42-A) or 33 MHz (KA42-B)?

Someone said it's 2.8 VUP's

> What mass storage controller?

It has a SCSI-like connector but with more pins on the M/B (or what I
assume is the M/B), but I'm not sure what it is. Other than that, it has
no SCSI-like connectors, so it might be SCSI-less.

> What video?

SPX. Which is 1280x1024x256 fixed at 70 hz x 66 hz if I've understood
everything correctly

> How was it intended to be used?

As an X terminal running VAXELN

> Just curious.

So am I :)

Oscar

PS. It has 8 MB RAM and works with a serial console when the console
switch is flipped. I've tried doing "boot esa0"'s, but nothing shows up in
moptrace or mopdump. Does anybody know how to switch between AUI and BNC?
I think I've tried both though (BNC w/ and w/o tranceiver), but I might've
messed up the cable. Anyways, that info would help to track the problem
down.