Subject: Re: SCSI on Q-bus
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/1998 19:04:44
<Ditto. I've worked hard to eradicate everything IDE here. The remaining
<3 drives are: 2 (120M and 40M) in a 386 box used as a router/firewall
<(the machine was assembled _entirely_ from stuff in the spare parts

I have no bias as I'm drive poor for anything over 100mb and SCSI has
been the expensive player for me.  Which is better, I don't care.

Also, SCSI is just *so* much more useful than IDE.  An IDE controller
<board will get you hard drives, some limited types of removable media,
<CD-ROM, and (if somebody writes an atapibus attachment for the st
<driver) some limited types of tape drives.  Of course, those tape drives
<are of the "cheap, PC-type crap" kind that any self-respecting VAX
<enthusiast would turn his or her nose up at.

All of the CDroms, tapes, removable disks are also available for IDE.
I don't see PC or vax only what I can support for pennies.

<(though Q-bus VAX is probably a poor choice for CD-ROM burning), many
<more kinds of tape drives (including "real" drives like DAT, DLT, or
<even SCSI 9-track or TK50), scanners, and even things like SCSI
<ethernet, serial ports, etc.

If you can afford them then a CMD or other scsi drive is not a problem
either.  Really a $400 CDR, SCSI Scanners at $300+++, DAT AND DLT are
not cheap that I know of so whats $3-400 for a good SCSI board?

<[BTW, I'm not convinced you really would need a CPU on a SCSI
<controller board. Modern SCSI chips pretty much *are* CPUs, and do
<quite a lot for you. Assuming that you want to use the MI SCSI

Did I not say in the proposal that infairness I didn't research newer
SCSI chips or their cost?  A cheap board would be hard to do if it
required a file pitch 100pin 4 layer SMT layout and used a $15-25 part!

Allison