Subject: Re: SCSI on Q-bus
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/1998 15:28:49
As for Q-bus SCSI vs Q-bus IDE...if someone builds a Q-bus SCSI board,
I'll buy one, up to (say) 200 USD.  If someone builds a Q-bus IDE
board, I wouldn't take it unless you *gave* it to me shipping prepaid.

Why?  Because everything else I have is SCSI.  Two machines chez moi
are capable of IDE.  Both of them are also capable of SCSI (though one
of the SCSI interfaces in question is on "indefinite loan").  The other
three machines that are in live use are all SCSI-only and couldn't use
an IDE disk if you gave it to me.  (There are many other computers
*not* in live use, none of which are IDE-capable but not SCSI-capable.)
We have about 10G of SCSI disk.  We have about 100M of IDE disk.

Of course, this is not to say that I would _oppose_ anyone who wants to
build an IDE interface.  I'll even help up to the limits of my ability
(which pretty much means babbling about the Q-bus).  Just a sample size
of one saying it'd be useless to me. :-)

Of course, neither one would be bootable; I'd end up having to netboot
anyway (unless I can resurrect one of the MSCP disks I've got as a boot
disk).

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca