Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 questions
To: Bertram Barth <bertram@ifib.uni-karlsruhe.de>
From: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/1998 13:27:09
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Bertram Barth wrote:
> David Burrows writes:

> > > This means that there is no boot program in the root filesystem on
> > > the first partition on your disk. (or at least that the bootblocks
> > > can't find it)
> > >
> > > -- Ragge
> >
> > I can't quite understand why it can't find it.  I have successfully mop
> > booted the same machine, from a linux box.  I mounted sd0a, in /mnt/root,
> > untarred base.tgz and copied the netbsd kernel into the root.  The only
> > other thing i did was copy /usr/mdec/xxboot to /usr/mdec/sdboot, and run
> > "disklabel -B /dev/sd0a".  What else can I try?
>
> You also need to copy the "/boot" program into /mnt/root, AFAIK both
> the kernel (/netbsd) and the boot-program (/boot) are not in base.tar.gz.

I don't have a /boot, where can I get it?  Or do I just copy
/usr/mdec/sdboot to /boot? I have tried that, and I tried b/1 dka200 but
it still doesn't work.. it spits up an error message and clears the screen
so I don't get to see it. (I think its the same can't find boot file
error)

What else can I do?  Is there anyone else who can boot root off a scsi
disk?  Is there a compiled kernel with even experimental/hack support for
the VS3100 graphic console? :)

Regards,

Dave.