Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 questions
To: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
From: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/03/1998 07:15:55
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, David Burrows wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have recently aquired a VAXstation 3100, and am in the process of
> installing NetBSD 1.3.  I've successfully mopbooted it, with an nfs root
> filesystem on a Linux x86 box.
>
> The first problem is after NetBSD starts booting, I don't get any display
> on the monitor.  I read the faq, and it states this is because NetBSD does
> not support the graphics console.  My question; How can I set my monitor
> into terminal emulation?  Or is there another way of doing this?

     Console is redirected to the printer port when the kernel is
launched. the copyright message is the first text hurled out the port. I
don' know of the other models, but the VS300-M76 has a large DIP switch
in back between the LED bank and the modem port. Toggle its position all
ALL console I/O uses the printer port. I suggest using a PC w/ Procomm
Plus or some other terminal emulator program that can capture screen
sessions. This makes it much easier for debugging when there's trouble.

> The second problem is trying to get NetBSD to boot off one of the 100mb
> internal SCSI hard drives.  I have managed to create the filesystem, and
> copy everything accross to it, but when I try to make it bootable with -B,
> it can't find the file sdboot.  I have three files; hpboot, raboot and
> xxboot.  Will any of these help me?  Basically I cannot find anywhere in
> the FAQ which mentions booting from scsi hard disks.  If someone could
> give me a pointer in how, or if this is going to work, that would be much
> appreciated.

	Currently, the boot code is the trouble. I am in the same
position as you at this time. SDBOOT will work, but it's the secondary
boot program, the one that lives in the root directory that needs to be
fixed.