Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 questions
To: David Burrows <snadge@gemcorp.com.au>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/03/1998 01:46:50
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, David Burrows wrote:

> I can't quite understand why it can't find it.  I have successfully mop
> booted the same machine, from a linux box.  I mounted sd0a, in /mnt/root,
> untarred base.tgz and copied the netbsd kernel into the root.  The only
> other thing i did was copy /usr/mdec/xxboot to /usr/mdec/sdboot, and run
> "disklabel -B /dev/sd0a".  What else can I try?

	Have you got a copy of '/boot' on the disk as well?

> Also, do you have an idea how I can get the graphic console to emulate a
> terminal?  I cannot hook anything up to the serial port (non standard),
> and a friend I know with the same model has his 21" screen displaying
> stuff.  My present solution of telnetting into it isn't much fun.

	If your friend running NetBSD on his machine?

	As for the non-standard serial cable - you could use an RJ11 cable
	with an RJ11 -> DB25 adaptor on one end.

	Hmm.. does anyone have a copy of Bertram Barth's switch MMU off,
	output char, switch MMU back on' console hack with which we could
	compile a kernel to help people along until full support is
	integrated (in much the same way as the PIO scsi kernel)

		David/absolute

	   _/  Do not go gentle into that good night  \_
	  /  Rage, rage against the dying of the light  \