Subject: Re: I'm starting (some) work on QDSS support.
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/02/1998 10:09:52
Brian D Chase wrote:

> :-) NFS is your friend.  Bertram once made the observation that doing
> development work on an NFS filesystem has the nice property that you're
> less likely to dork your data should something go horribly wrong.

  True.  However, NFS is rather slower than locally-mounted stuff (especially
given how much our lab's Ethernet gets pounded...)  Anyway, now that I have
two sensible VAXen my plan is to do development on VS3100 and testing on my
uVAX II.  I think this should give the best of both worlds, really.

> Along similar lines, and contrary to some recent discussions, I think that
> most of the older 5.25 full height drives of MFM/EDSI/SDI/SMD flavors are
> more likely to fail on you than a new SCSI or IDE drive in my experience.

  For sure--I don't trust my one remaining RD53 to last much longer.

> If you've got the equipment, using NFS is a pretty decent way to gain
> access to more storage that you could otherwise get locally on your VAX.

  I have SCSI on all of my VAXen so that's not a problem.  RIght now I have
1GB on each of my uVAX II and VS3100.

--
David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Computer/Synth Junkie                      http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/