Subject: Re: I'm starting (some) work on QDSS support.
To: David Evans <dfevans@bbcr.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/02/1998 00:02:48
On Sun, 1 Feb 1998, David Evans wrote:
> Boris Gjenero wrote:

> > So far I have gotten the needed header files and changed things a bit
> > until cpp was happy with everything.  Now I have this big bunch of
> > compiler warnings and errors and I've started on that.

>   Sounds like you've got about as far as I did before 1.2G spat all over my
> disk last fall.

<spinning off on a tangent, but what else is new here?>

:-) NFS is your friend.  Bertram once made the observation that doing
development work on an NFS filesystem has the nice property that you're
less likely to dork your data should something go horribly wrong.

Along similar lines, and contrary to some recent discussions, I think that
most of the older 5.25 full height drives of MFM/EDSI/SDI/SMD flavors are
more likely to fail on you than a new SCSI or IDE drive in my experience.
If you've got the equipment, using NFS is a pretty decent way to gain
access to more storage that you could otherwise get locally on your VAX.

As for the QDSS stuff.  Best of luck, and I'm glad someone's taken it
under their wing as a project.

-brian.
---