Subject: Re: Support for removable MSCP devices
To: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/01/1998 11:54:06
> It seems to me that the kernel does not do the right thing when an MSCP
> device goes offline and then again becomes available.  I first noticed
> that when I disabled port A on my RA90 and then reenabled it (for no
> particular reason whatsoever.  I was taking the system down anyways.)
> The system never recovered.  I just kept getting:
> raioerror
>  unit available (unknown subcode) (code 4, subcode 0)
> In this case it didn't matter, but ironically it ended up mattering later
> on today.  I was trying to write RX50 floppies, but it seems that after I
> changed floppies, the RX50 could not be accessed.  I got the same error
> message.  I had to reboot between disks.

Humm, this is probably true. My goal is to support even RA disk unit
changes "on the fly", but there are lots of "trial-and-error" to see
how that work.
The floppy problem is more important, though. I will look at it later
this day. I think also that I should break out the floppy friver from
the ra disk driver, instead of having them act the same.

-- Ragge