Subject: Re: RD54 drive numbers.
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Wilson <wilson@dbit.dbit.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/31/1998 00:21:29
>From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>

>> 1224 cyl
[...]
>> Cylinders: 1221

>But of course this may be an error. As for cylinders vs. useable cylinders,
>this is not a very plausible explanation, since the tables for RD32 and RD53
>agree with the original manufactures' data without subtracting any cylinders.

DEC's docs are often wrong about such things, I've seen three different
numbers documented for the # of cyls in an RK07.  Anyway once I spent a
weekend experimenting with format routines on a "10 MB" MFM drive, and
found almost a full megabyte worth of formattable tracks off EOD, so I
suspect that the claimed number of cyls is all they'll guarantee but there
may be a bunch more, presumably they're allowing for the LZ.

John Wilson
D Bit