Subject: Re: Ultrix/VAX
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/30/1998 00:33:45
Ben Ketcham <bketcham@anvilite.murkworks.net> wrote:
> Regardless of your opinion of the US government, I think that the
> *owners* of the product in question, i.e., DEC (wholly-owned
> subsidiary of Compaq though they now be) might care a little bit.
That's true, but without this tyrannical government and its draconian copyright
laws they wouldn't be able to do anything no matter how much they cared.
> And whoever legally aquired the CDROM containing Ultrix in the first
> place almost certainly had to, in one way or another, agree to respect
> that ownership, before opening the package containing the CD.
It has been upheld many times that unsigned shrink-wrap "agreements" have no
legal power whatsoever. What's really protecting the software is the copyright
notice, not the so-called "license agreement". DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer,
only a law-breaker.

Sincerely,
Michael Sokolov
Phone: 440-449-0299