Subject: Re: http://www.netbsd.org/Library/Hardware/Machines/DEC/vax/full.html
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Quayle <icq@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/28/1998 11:10:47
Varga Akos Endre wrote:

> Hm, there's a 'VAX11/720' mentioned on the page (nickname LCN), the actual
> number is 11/725 (at least I've never heard of a 720), which is a
> re-engineered 11/730 from 1983. Must have been the slowest but on of the
> cutest VAX :-)

I still have a 725 which is waiting it's turn to get a NetBsd install -
If you can imageine a unibus, slightly larger, under the desk version of
a BA123 microvax, that's a '725. Limited number of slots in the
backplane and originally came with a RC25 fixed / removable drive - very
unreliable and working drives are now like the proverbial hen's teeth.
Mine had vms 4.3 originally, but now has a UD33 SMD controller and Fuji
M2333 drive - plenty of room in the box for this and a power supply for
the drive. Presently has a BSD4.3 installation - all with a massive :-)
2 megs memory (2 x 1meg cards), DELUA network card and Dilog tape
controller. They boot from a TU58 tape, which loads the microcode, much
as per Vax 750.

My first serious machine was a Vax730 - with an R80 system disk that was
so flaky, I was gratefull when it got through its boot sequence...

> Hm, I do miss the VAX 6000 series, or the BI-bunch (8800, 8500, 8200,
> 8300)...

Would like a 8300, small rack box - the fans make so much noise and the
BI bus cards are such a work of art. The other machine that interests me
is the vaxstation 8000 - 8200 system with BI bus graphics card - never
even seen one, but it is in one of the workstation handbooks from the
eighties. As for the graphics board, don't even know the part number,
but would love to find one.

Bit of a lurker in this list i'm afraid - don't have much time but read
with interest - Currently have NetBsd on  '655 microvax but have still
to get a build environment running. Had some ideas about X for netbsd -
say running on a vcbxx series card - searched the net for some time and
found some driver sources for bsd - should be enough info in these to
write a NetBsd driver. Me, no time at the mo but will have a go one day
hopefully...

Regards, Chris