Subject: Re: Command 0xNN completed with result code 0xNN workaround?
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/1998 20:20:02
Gunnar Helliesen wrote:

> As I'm unpacking the binaries on my "new" RD53 I'm seeing more of the
> dreaded "Command 0xNN completed with result code 0xNN" messages.
>
> I'm keeping track of the files affected, could a workaround be to rename
> them, thus keeping the bad blocks allocated, and then reinstalling them?

The answer is maybe.

If the error is in the file itself this would work.  However it is quite
possible that some of the errors are in the filesystem information
(metadata).  In that case you are out of luck.  If the error is in the
swap partition, things are even worse.

You may want to take a look at the badsect(8) man page, but that suffers
from the same limitations.

Hmm... now I have another idea.  Linux ext2fs knows how to deal with bad
sectors.  What would happen if you used ext2fs instead of ffs?  (It is
supported in NetBSD)

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |