Subject: Re: Compaq buys Digital
To: Saku Setala , Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Tom Guptill <tgpt@pas.rochester.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/1998 08:21:53
While I have no love for this merger, I find it interesting that in the
early 1980s, Ken Olson (former DEC CEO) was saying that the idea of a PC on
every desk was silly, while Compaq was making plans to steal (I mean
"clone") the PC from IBM.  It looks like somebody saw the train coming,
while somebody else just got run over by it.

For what it's worth, the console to the switch that runs our entire network
is a Compaq Portable II (a "suitcase" i286 with 512k RAM, a 20mb HDD, and a
9 inch (20cm?) green monochrome screen).  It has been on for years.  Much
like Digital's, their hardware *is* fairly well-made, so at least we
shouldn't see a decline in new hardware quality as a result of the buyout.

- Tom

--
Tom Guptill
UNIX Systems Manager