Subject: Re: v1.3 Up and Running - Woo Hoo!
To: J. Buck Caldwell <buck_c@polygon.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/26/1998 23:03:26
On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, J. Buck Caldwell wrote:

> One other note... unix newbe question (for which I expect to get soundly chastized) - I get that I
> need to make a link from /etc/localtime to the correct timezone file... but... how do I make a link?
> (blush)

	You can use 'man -k link' to find a man page dealing with link
	(section 1 is user commands, 8 are sysadmin commands).

(sublimation Library/Hardware)534% man -k link
dcl (4) -  HP 98628A communications link
dcl (4) - HP 98628A communications link
dlopen, dlclose, dlsym, dlctl, dlerror (3) - dynamic link interface
ec (4) - device driver for 3Com Etherlink II (3c503) Ethernet cards
eg (4) - device driver for 3Com Etherlink Plus (3c505) Ethernet interface
el (4) - device driver for 3Com Etherlink (3c501) Ethernet interface
ep (4) - device driver for 3Com Etherlink III family
hil (4) - Human Interface Link device driver
hlfsd (8) - home-link file system daemon
ld (1) - link editor
ld.so (1) - run-time link-editor
ld.so (so.1) - run-time link-editor
ld.so.conf (5) - run-time link-editor configuration file
ld.so.conf (so.conf.5) - run-time link-editor configuration file
link (2) - make a hard file link
link (5) - dynamic loader and link editor interface
link_addr, link_ntoa (3) - elementary address specification routines for
link level access
ln (1) - make links
readlink (2) - read value of a symbolic link
symlink (2) - make symbolic link to a file
symlink (7) - symbolic link handling
unlink (2) - remove directory entry

	From this you can see that 'ln (1) - make links' - ln is
	the command you need.

	(Now for the answer :)
	rm /etc/localtime (in case one is present)
	ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Pacific /etc/localtime
	(Replace US/Pacific with the appropriate locale)

		David/absolute

  Things to regret not having after transferring 'beans' between two beanbags
    #1 : A vacuum cleaner
    #2 : A floor the same colour as the beans
    #3 : More beans