Subject: Re: Vaxstation/MicroVAX info
To: Arno Griffioen <arno@usn.nl>
From: Tim Shoppa <shoppa@alph01.triumf.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/1998 10:38:46
> > 	Would you be able to hlp on any of the following:
> >
> > 	      o Dimensions of the BA213. (in cm)
>
> The BA213 is a 'DEC standard' 19" rack of (let's see...) 1 meter high
> (excluding wheels). My PDP11/03 is in almost the same sort of
> rack, just a bit smaller.

You're confusing the Q-bus enclosure with the rack that it's mounted in.

"BA" in a DEC part number usually implies some sort of box.  Usually,
it's a box with a bus backplane.  The BA213 is a Q-bus backplane, also
commonly referred to as a "skunk box" (modules intended for use in a
BA213 often have a S suffix).  Your PDP-11/03 is probably in a BA11-N
or a BA11-S Q-bus backplane.

Not all DEC backplane boxes mount in racks.  For instance, there
are "freestanding" versions of the BA23, BA123, and BA213.  (There
are also desktop versions of the BA8 and various BA11 boxes, but
these don't have 22-bit Q-bus backplanes...)

DEC racks usually begin with a "H" (doesn't narrow things down much -
a huge number of non-rack products also have "H" part numbers, such as
power supplies.  Of course, the power supplies were originally bolted
to the rack and independent of the backplane...)

> White/cream front, black metal side-plates with a white/cream edge around
> them.

Your description of the rack makes it sound like a H9642, a standard
42" corporate cabinet.

> The RA82 sucks 4A of that, so the QBUS chassis is rated at 1.9A
> (no labels on the QBUS part..)

This doesn't sound like a BA213 power rating at all.  My BA213 has
stickers on the front and sides saying "BA213, 100-120V,
10.2A".  Divide that by two for your power supply voltage and that's
still substantially more than 1.9A.

And a RA82 sucks much more than 4A on spin-up!

Tim. (shoppa@triumf.ca)