Subject: Re: Vaxstation/MicroVAX info
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Sheila H./or/Elwood Blues <shsrms@erols.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/1998 07:44:30
Anders Magnusson wrote:

> > from my prior experiences with an 8650 (the last true VAX).
> >
> Wasn't the 8600 series developed at LCG? I have heard that sometime.
>
> -- Ragge
The VENUS product family was developed in Marlboro, in the building
identified as lCG.  At the same time as the 2080 was bieng developed.  I
have a mental cramp right now so I can't recall which 8xxx series
resulted from venus.

While the Vax crew, Al Helenious, Trygve Fossum, et al were in Marlboro,
those of us in the 10/20 group had mixed feeling about whether or not
they were part of LCG.

The vax folks numbered their bits from the wrong side of thw word,
really had this 8 bit machine with a sometimes 32 bit data path, and had
some other limitiations.  Some of us were so rash and bold as to predict
that the Vax architecture would not exceed 10MIPS 9we thought in MIPS
then) without a change in architecture due to the variable instruction
length =  which that same some of us used to keep hammering away on the
8 bit machine with nn bit data path.  Of course WE had a REAL machine,
with the MSB as bit 0, a fixed data path, capability to do all kinds of
wonderful things but.....

And now I have a couple of vaxen at home, no 10/20 at home, and am
having a great time with NetBSD!!
hope this helps
bob
--
real address is shsrms at erols dot com
The opinions expressed here may or may not be mine.