Subject: Re: Vaxstation/MicroVAX info
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/1998 00:28:17
<>> No. I've got a Vaxstation II/GPX case here, BA23-style.
<

It's possible as there were several strange marketing things done by dec.

One of the problems with the BA23 is that if you put the cpu, two memory
and a full 8plane VCB02(3boards) you've used 6 of the available quad
slots. With that you need a DEQNA(DELQA), RQDX3, TK50 leaving one dual
slot for maybe a DZQ-11 4 port serial card.  You're also limited to one
rd54 wich for some applications is a bit cramped.  Now that will all fit
and likely exceeded the rated power supply.  The BA23 GPX systems I've
seen while dec internal were field fitted with 4plane(2boards) VCB02
systems. leaving out that one card, the DZQ-11 and the tk50 held the power
needs down...backups were over the Eithernet.

<I also have several (3) VAXstation-II/RC cases. These are BA23 (and have
<glue in the backplane).

The RC was reduced configuration and the glue was intended to keep it that
way.  Again a half baked maketing scheme to sell uVAX-IIs at lower cost
as an intro machine for minimum dollars.  Most were field upgraded by
replacing the backplane.

Allison