Subject: RE: Vaxstation/MicroVAX info
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/23/1998 23:59:51
allisonp@world.std.com wrote:

> <VAXstation II/GPX       KA630   0.9 VUP         (Caylith)
> <    Can be made from a MicroVAX II by adding VCB02 (QDSS)
> <    Equivalent to a VAXstation II with a VCB02 instead of a VCB01.
> <    UV2 CPU, Q-bus
> <*Can run NetBSD.
>
> The big difference was using the BA123 box with twice the power, up to
> 5 storage trays and a larger backplane.  The common config had /GPX
> (VCB01/2) installed, DHV-11, RQDX3, DEQNA, TK50 and up to two RD54s
> and a RX50.  If the RX50 was pulled/disconnected you could have up to
> 4 rd54s. Typical ram was three 4meg cards for 13mb but systems with
16mb
> were not uncommon using up to three cards.  These are often found with

> 9/13/16mb of ram.  The larger bus and power supplies made playing mix
and
> match common with this box as it was small and fairly easy to open and

> work on.
>
> I know as I have one of each with the VCBxx pulled (no monitor
available).

Hm, this sounds a lot like my machine. It was never a GPX but simply a
MicroVAX II. A lot of these were sold around here, actually this cabinet
was the most common one for the MicroVAX II, although I have seen some
as VAXstation II/GPX as well. We used to call this config the "Q3". The
smaller cabinet we used to call "Q2" and the largest cabinet (like the
one Tom Ivar has, a rack with an RA82 at the bottom) we used to call the
"Q5".

Where these designations came from I don't know. Anyone else seen/used
them?

I have a picture of my machine on the FAQ pages:
http://vaxine.bitcon.no/image/vaxine-m.jpg

This is what I call a "Q3". Is this what you mean by the BA123 box?

Gunnar

--
Gunnar Helliesen   | Bergen IT Consult AS  | NetBSD/VAX on a uVAX II
Systems Consultant | Bergen, Norway        | '86 Jaguar Sovereign 4.2