Subject: Re: VS3100 M76 standalone boot (new try)
To: None <dal95acn@mds.mdh.se>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/1998 18:36:20
>From: "Carlsson, Anders" <dal95acn@mds.mdh.se>
>[...]
>When I "b dka200" (which is the sd0 SCSI disk) the boot program loads,
>but it fails to load /netbsd due to the boot program does not handle SCSI?
>
>If I rather "b/1 dka200" and at the prompt enters "rom()netbsd" as Ragge
>told me before, it boots but I have to manually fill in root device and
>so on. Not only the first time I do this, but every reboot. Am I doing
>something wrong? I've managed to netboot the VS3100 without any trouble.

Configure, build, and install a kernel with "root on sd0a dumps on
sd0b" and then it won't ask you.

You can also modify /sys/arch/vax/boot/boot.c to make it boot
automatically without needing to use "b/1".  Look for two places where
the string "/netbsd" occurs, and change them both to read
"rom()netbsd", then recompile and reinstall in /boot.

Cheers,
entropy