Subject: Re: FS: Vax 9000/8350/HSC40 (fwd)
To: Arno Griffioen <arno@usn.nl>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/1998 20:16:41
> > > I'm afraid even if I could get my grubby paws on one I wouldn't
> > > be able to get it into our attic. The 3600 and RA82 was heavy enough ;-)
> >
> > Even talking about a 3600 and a 9000 in the same sentence makes me laugh.
> > I wonder how many 3600 you could fit inside a 9000... 30? Probably even
>
> Perhaps the bare QBUS cases yes, but not the entire box. My 3600 is already
> about 1.20 Meters high and in a 19" rack with the RA82 on top.

Okay. I thought the 3600 was somewhat like the 3500 I have. About 1 meter
high, but nowhere near a 19" rack... BA something or other, with room for
two RA70 and one TK70.

> Unless a 9000 consists of 15 racks ;-)

Not really that much, but closer perhaps than you think...

> > more... Carry it? No way. I've moved an 8650 a few times, and that sure
> > was interesting enough... I'd still want a 9000 though.
>
> Or perhaps a 10000 :-)

Please. :-)
Oh, you make me drool...
Wasn't the 10000 upgradeable to an Alpha even? I'd like to have seen that
Alpha system :-)

> > Unfortunately, I'd expect it will go as scrap. Not many people can find
> > space for a 9000, not to mention power and cooling.
>
> Space is a problem, but power (at least here) is not a very big problem.
> 3-phase 380V is also used regularly for electric cooking and stuff.
>
> OK. The power-bill will be, eehh, interesting.. But still..

Well, I was perhaps mostly thinking about the power bill, yes...

> Is the 9000 a real 380V machine or does it still use one of those
> power-bridges which bring it down to 240V 3-phase (USA 3-phase)

Beats me. It is a hungry sucker though... All ECL I believe.

> > We're talking mainframes here...
>
> Naah..
>
> I recently saw an IBM which was removed from a location. It took 3
> big halls... Now that's a mainframe :-)

Yes, IBM is the king of that hill. But a proper 9000-installation should
come somewhere close to being noticed anyway...

Guess we're getting off the topic of NetBSD/vax though. :-)

	Johnny