Subject: Re: FS: Vax 9000/8350/HSC40 (fwd)
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Arno Griffioen <arno@usn.nl>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/1998 19:54:44
> > I'm afraid even if I could get my grubby paws on one I wouldn't
> > be able to get it into our attic. The 3600 and RA82 was heavy enough ;-)
>
> Even talking about a 3600 and a 9000 in the same sentence makes me laugh.
> I wonder how many 3600 you could fit inside a 9000... 30? Probably even

Perhaps the bare QBUS cases yes, but not the entire box. My 3600 is already
about 1.20 Meters high and in a 19" rack with the RA82 on top.

30 of them would make 15 19" racks of approx 2 meters high.

Unless a 9000 consists of 15 racks ;-)

Stuff all the QBUS boxes in 19" racks and 30 of them might just
fit.. Especially if you remove the top part where the TK70 and
(optional) RA70's live..

> more... Carry it? No way. I've moved an 8650 a few times, and that sure
> was interesting enough... I'd still want a 9000 though.

Or perhaps a 10000 :-)

> Unfortunately, I'd expect it will go as scrap. Not many people can find
> space for a 9000, not to mention power and cooling.

Space is a problem, but power (at least here) is not a very big problem.
3-phase 380V is also used regularly for electric cooking and stuff.

OK. The power-bill will be, eehh, interesting.. But still..

Is the 9000 a real 380V machine or does it still use one of those
power-bridges which bring it down to 240V 3-phase (USA 3-phase)

> We're talking mainframes here...

Naah..

I recently saw an IBM which was removed from a location. It took 3
big halls... Now that's a mainframe :-)

							Bye Arno.

--
Internet Exchange Europe B.V.Fax: +31-70-3630470 | One disk to rule them all,
Lange Voorhout 9  	     Tel: +31-70-3600379 | One disk to bind them,