Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 and MicroVAX 3100 question.
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/22/1998 02:50:58
On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com> wrote:

> > Being a MicroVAX 3100 deprived individual, are there many simillarities
> > between the VS3100 and older MV3100 models?

> Read my conversation with Antonio Carlini! The whole reason we are
> keeping it on port-vax instead of private E-mail is so that other people
> can benefit from this discussion! Look, it's really pissing me off when
> I spend many hours a day answering questions and leading discussions and
> then see people ask the same question I have just answered or got
> someone else to answer through a thorough discussion, as if I weren't in
> existence!

It's all a sinister and underhanded conspiracy!  Well, I knew there were
some similar aspects to the two.  That's why I clarified my question to
the deadly precision of a CIA hit man's aim with this second sentence:

> > In particular, do the
> > MV3100/M10/M10e/M20e use the same disk controller boards as the
> > VS3100/M30/M38/M40/M48 or do they have their own integrated controllers
> > sort of like the VS3100/M76 has?

> This is one of the main questions that I'm asking Antonio in the next
> posting!  I would appreciate it if next time you were to show a little
> more respect for people who spend more than half of their working days
> in a word processor leading discussions so that everyone can supposedly
> benefit.

Perhaps this is a result of my small and smooth ringtail lemur-like
brain...  But usually I find that I've a certain amount of difficulty in
differentiating between the what-if scenerios, the contemplations, the
speculations, the double guessing of machine similarities based on
external features, and any facts you present in your posts.  And it seems
like often you later come back and correct assumptions you made in
comes from an authoritative source.  Myself being ignorant of most of
these systems, I usually feel more confused than enlightened by your
exchanges.

Truly, I know next to nothing of the VAX hardware systems outside of what
I learn from the knowledgeable people on this mailing list, and what I
learn on my own with the systems I have access to.  Apart from attempting
to learn things here, I try to serve the community behind the list by
researching and gathering what facts I can and organizing them into
something useful and usable to others like myself.  When I don't know
something, or don't have a satisfactory answer, I ask questions.

In reading through your message with Antonio I can see that you state the
MicroVAX systems have integrated SCSI controllers.  But then later in the
same post I see you incorrectly surmise that the VAXstation 3100/M76 has a
SCSI daughter card because the location of the external connector on its
case is the same as an M38's ?!?  Okay, so now I go back and wonder if
you've actually seen the insides of a MicroVAX 3100 or are you just
extrapolating from what you may have seen in a MicroVAX 2000?

So, I'm left still looking for answers to my original question.

-brian.
---