Subject: Re: difference KA650-AA and KA650-BA
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/21/1998 22:48:38
   Dear Emanuel,

   Thanks a lot for the manual part #s! BTW, do these manuals have a
related documents section where they refer to technical, maintenance, and
service manuals? I need these too, so I would appreciate their numbers if
they are listed there.
   You wrote:
> Sure, i bought the decstation for myself at that time, with all the
> documentation.
   You bought a new DEC machine?? Wow! The latest DECdirect catalog that I
have is for winter 1993, and it lists DS5000/133 for ~$8000 at least. Hey,
I guess 1993 is not that long ago and DS5000/133 is not that slow, so I may
be able to sell mine for a good price that would give me enough $$$ for
memory, disks, and other things that I need for my VAXen. Does anyone know
what its fair market value is?
   The way I have acquired it is this. I'm planning to make a new "release"
of "Berkeley" UNIX(R) with resurrected and improved VAX support and without
POSIX impurities, and I plan to make it fit for superceding the last
release from CSRG (4.4BSD) in the area of hardware support. I personally
prefer VAXen to MIPSen ("Go VAX, RISC sucks!"), but since 4.4BSD has decent
support for the HP9000/300 series and for MIPSen, I have to provide decent
support for them too. Since VAXen are what I'll actually use on Harhan, I
was (and am) looking for a whole bunch of these, but only one HP300 and one
MIPS for development and testing. I haven't found an HP300 yet, but I have
found the DS5000/133. It was donated to me along with 5 VS3100s M38s by one
department at CWRU by a pure miracle for me and a grave mistake for them.
They had all this hardware managed by a student until he graduated and left
them behind without any help. They apparently had to idea what to do with
all this stuff once the only guy who knew it left, and so they slated it
for disposal! I have promptly taken advantage of that. I'm pretty sure that
they regret it now, since when I and two student helpers were hauling away
the last cartload of hardware I was hearing some arguing voices behind...
   I have then learned that porting Berkeley UNIX(R) to BabyVAXen will
require relying heavily on the PMAX code in 4.4BSD and possibly 4.3BSD-
Reno, and that a real PMAX (DS3100) would be better for this purpose than a
DS5000. Sure, DS5000 is faster and just "better" for practical purposes,
but for that I'll use VAXen, and I need a MIPS only for the development and
testing. In this context, trading the DS5000/133 for a DS3100+good $$$ may
be an awesome idea.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299