Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 and MicroVAX 3100 question.
To: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.ORG>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/21/1998 20:05:20
On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 22:41:37 -0500 (EST)
> From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
> To: port-vax@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re:  VAXstation 3100 and MicroVAX 3100 question.
>
> Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com> wrote:
> > Being a MicroVAX 3100 deprived individual, are there many simillarities
> > between the VS3100 and older MV3100 models?
> Read my conversation with Antonio Carlini! The whole reason we are keeping it
> on port-vax instead of private E-mail is so that other people can benefit from
> this discussion! Look, it's really pissing me off when I spend many hours a day
> answering questions and leading discussions and then see people ask the same
> question I have just answered or got someone else to answer through a thorough
> discussion, as if I weren't in existence!

	The primary problem with the postings to port-vax has been their
	sheer length. The information provided has been quite incredible,
	but there are so many different points covered in each mesasge
	that it becomes overwhelming and difficult to determine exact
	points.

	If someone were to collate and summarise the information by
	machine type it would be an invaluable resource for vax users.

	I would do this myself, but I'm hoping to finish installing
	NetBSD/vax on my VS3100 and then to look at the 'cannot use more
	than 16MB eith ethernet' problem.

> > In particular, do the
> > MV3100/M10/M10e/M20e use the same disk controller boards as the
> > VS3100/M30/M38/M40/M48 or do they have their own integrated controllers
> > sort of like the VS3100/M76 has?
>
> This is one of the main questions that I'm asking Antonio in the next posting!
> I would appreciate it if next time you were to show a little more respect for
> people who spend more than half of their working days in a word processor
> leading discussions so that everyone can supposedly benefit.

	An interesting comment aimed at someone who has compiled a
	detailed and easy to read HOWTO document for the benefit of all
	VAX users:

http://www.carpediem.com/~brianc/projects/vaxen/VAXstation-netboot-HOWTO.html

	an example of how to collate and summarise information to the best
	benfit of all users.

		David/absolute

      "I may not always say what I mean, but I usually mean what I say."