Subject: Hello All!
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: HULBERT JOSHUA <hulbertj@msoe.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/21/1998 01:34:58
Hi,

I've been lurking on the list for about a year now, and I think it's time
to try to get NetBSD on my VAXen.  I've got a VS3100/M38 which is
currently happily running Ultrix 4.3 and a Pentium running Linux, both
hooked up via 10B2 ethernet.

The machine I'd like to install NetBSD on is a VS3500, with two RA70s and
a TK70.  It's got what appears to be a standard config in a BA213
pedestal, with the following cards in the cage:

KDA50 for the drives
TQK70 for the tape
VCB02 8 plane graphics - can I replace this with some other stuff like
	RAM, since the graphics aren't supported anyway?
KA650-BA, and enough mem cards to make 16MB
DELQA ethernet card, a source of great frustration.

Alas and alack, I don't have an extra cable to connect my second RA70 to
the controller board on the front.  :(

I've got hardare manuals for most of the hardware I found.  This includes
the KA650 tech specs, the TK70 tech manual, etc.  I just took all the
manuals that seemed pertinent to my config at the time I found the stash
of hardware at my school.  If anyone needs some of these docs, I can scan
'em and e-mail them to you...I don't know how available this stuff is
anymore, so I'm going to keep it around just in case.

So, I guess what I need is to get this thing booted and talking nicely to
the other machines on the ethernet, so I can make this a self-supporting
machine.  I've got a set of two TK70s marked "Standalone Backup VMS
5.5-2."  Can I use these to somehow get VMS running long enough to write
the two boot tapes I need to get NetBSD running?  I don't know of any
other machines locally that have working Tk drives, so I have to be self
sufficient on this.  Failing that, would someone with a working system be
willing to write the tapes for me if I shipped them out (including return
postage, of course)?  Or maybe, just maybe, will there be netboot support
for the DELQA cards in the near future?

Well, thanks for humoring me.  I'd really like to get this beast running
this winter, while I can still vent the heat outside :)

Joshua Hulbert

Milwaukee School of Engineering
Milwaukee, WI