Subject: Re: difference KA650-AA and KA650-BA
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/18/1998 22:57:50
Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com> wrote:

> You should wait on that.  You can't netboot NetBSD/VAX on machines that
> have Q-bus ethernet controllers like the DELQA.  The mop-able boot loader
> (mopboot) only supports the lance ethernet devices found in non Q-bus
> based machines like the VAXstation 2000, 3100, and apparently some
> MicroVAX 3100's.

This only means that you can't netboot using the NetBSD/vax boot
program.  You *can* netboot it if you find another boot program that
supports the qe boards and works with the NetBSD/vax kernel.  I've used
the MIT-Athena etftp program to netboot MicroVAX II systems and it works
fine.  It's just a bit more trouble because you have to setup TFTP and
BOOTP (well, BOOTP only if you want unattended boots).

> The Q-bus ethernet controllers are supported in the NetBSD/VAX kernel, so
> you can still use the network if you can get NetBSD installed onto your
> machine using tapes or floppy disks.

Yeah, root and swap on qe0 seems to work.  However, today I've seen some
weird things... tar kept failing with illegal instruction every time I
ran it.  Copying tar and running the copy made things work again.  There
are so many things that could have gone wrong that I have no clue as to
what is to blame.  I suspect that it is swap over NFS but who knows...

--
|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |