Subject: Re: A BA23 question
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin2@wizards.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/18/1998 11:36:06
At 23:15 17-01-98 -0500, you wrote:

>   In what form have you got them, as internal devices (what form-factor?)
>or in external boxes? Have you got the adapter boards? As I have said in my

	They're external boxes. There's a PC board in the housing with a couple of
ICs.

	Now that I think about it, I take back what I said earlier. I -have- seen
a SCSI RRD40 external. Jim Willing has one. I saw it when I went down to
buy a DECStation from him.

>   I agree 100% about RX50 floppies, but what about Exabyte 8mm tapes?

	Nothing at all wrong with them. My NT server uses an Exabyte 8500.

>   Actually I have written my own gadgets for creating and restoring sector
>images of floppy disks. One's own software is _ALWAYS_ better than anyone
>else's, don't you agree?

	<g> If I had the necessary coding skill to write my own, I would have.
I'll be lucky if I can figure out enough code to control the GPIB board I
just got! ;-)

	I agree with the idea, though, and I did buy Visual Basic for a reason.
Just got to find the time to dork with it.

>   I agree 100% with your idea, I'm simply not sure that CD-ROMs are more
>reliable than Exabyte 8mm tapes. But if they really are, I'll definitely
>consider using a CD writer too. Note the "too". I plan to use _REALLY_
>serious backup procedures: make several copies, keep them both at home and
>in my office, maybe even send a copy to my relatives in Russia, etc.
>Keeping copies on both tapes and CDs may be a good idea.

	I apologize, then, for my earlier tone. It appears I misunderstood your