Subject: Re: An MV3100/KA41 question
To: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
From: Thordur Ivarsson <totii@est.is>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/18/1998 15:05:49
Michael Sokolov wrote:

>    Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
>    Thanks for the info on BA23! I have got another question that someone
> here may have an answer to. I have previously written that whenever
> MicroVAX and VAXstation twins used nearly the same system boards, they were
> still different in that the MicroVAX version had the video circuitry
> omitted. Well, among the stuff that Richard Parobek has given me on
> Thursday there are two MV2000s. To test my theory, I have opened them up
> and looked at the system boards. I was expecting to see signs of omitted
> components (empty pads). I was very surprised to see all components in
> place. There were no empty pads! I didn't have a board from a VS2000 in
> front of me for comparison, but I have seen them before, and they looked
> the same! Since my original theory turns out to be wrong, ....

> Everything works out nicely. On VS3100, on the other hand, something
> strange is going on. Ports 2 and 3 come out of the system unit already as
> MMJs, and ports 0 and 1 come out in two ways. First, they are accessible
> through the monitor DB15, but there also are funny keyboard and mouse
> connectors right on the system unit. On MV3100 all ports should be MMJs,
> but I don't see how could they do it. My question to the club is this:
> could someone with an MV3100 M10/10e/20/20e (but not M30+) please look at
> its back panel and tell me what connectors does it (left to right or right
> to left, doesn't matter)? I remember someone saying that he has such a box.

I have here system that is about 15cm thick marked in the front as
MicroVAX 3100.

The layout of back panel is like this

                  Unused opening

36pin-Dconn              50pin-Dconn-3row       50pin-Dconn
SCSI             pwr-switch
8 serial cons            synchronus serial      second scsi contr.

15pin-DIX   switch  BNC      halt   MMJ MMJ MMJ 25pin-Dconn  maint
8-leds
Ethernet           Ethernet switch   1   2   3
switch          pwr-sock

The console is connected to MMJ-1 and prompts with following:

KA41-D  V1.0          ca`

F_..E...D...C...B...A...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2_..1...

 ?  E  0040  0000.0005
 ?  C  0080  0000.4001

 VMS/VMB  ULTRIX    ADDR    DEVTYP  NUMBYTES  RM/FX  WP  DEVNAM  REV
 -------  ------  --------  ------  --------  -----  --  ------  ---
 ESA0     SE0     08-00-2B-25-2E-1A

 DKA300   RZ3     A/3/0/00  DISK      209 MB   FX        RZ24   211B
 MKA500   TZ5     A/5/0/00  TAPE    ........   RM
 ...HostID....    A/7       INITR

 ...HostID....    B/7       INITR

 [ESA0:]  ?>>>

This system is belived to be MV3100m20 or MV3100m20e

I have here somewere owners manual for this system but it is very bad
document.

Well i found new sticker under the system at this very moment here is:

Made in U.K.
Series BA42B CPU KA41

I didn't notice this before!

Hope this helps!

--
Þórður Ívarsson		Thordur Ivarsson
Rafeindavirki		Electronic technician

FreeBSD has good features,
Some others are full of unwanted features!