Subject: Re: console on ka650-ba
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stan Pietkiewicz <stanp@storm.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/17/1998 23:32:03
emanuel stiebler wrote:

> Hi all,
> i got i hope all together, what i think i needed for a NEtBSD on Vax.
> But ...
> No documentation.
>
> on the ka650 are two switches
> one for up & down,

The 2 position switch controls the startup; the dot oustide the circle
enables autoboot; dot inside gets you into the monitor on startup.

> the other has three positions ...The "face" position enables the monitor language menu; the arrow is the
normal operating position, and the T with the circular arrow runs
continous self-tests.

This is what happens on my KA650-aa (aka MicroVAX 3600), the "official"
answers (from a manual) may vary.....

> Anybody could explain the positions to me ?
>
> I'm trying something like "SHOW DEVICE"
>
> but all i get is "?22 ILLG CMD"
>  on all commands ... (like "HELP, LOGIN, SHOW ")

Do the communications settings on the terminal agree with the console
port? (9600 8 n 1 on mine....)

> i saw a few days ago a list of monitor commands for the vaxes, but i forgot
> where.
> anybody knows where it is? (sorry, i have to bookmark it)
>
> anyway, for them whom wants to help me, my configuration:
> KA650-BA M7620-BA
> MS650-AA M7621-A   << 8mb memory cards???
> MS650-AA M7621-A
> MS650-AA M7621-A
> MS650-AA M7621-A
> DELQA-SA M7516-PA  << Ethernet adapter with an AUI port
> VCB02      M7169-00   << ???
> VCB02       M7168-00
> VCB02      M7168-00
> TQK70      M7559-00     TK70 on it  << 290mb tape drive
> KDA50      M7164-00     two ra90 on this controller
> KDA50      M7165-00
> The KDA50 controller will handle 4 RA series drives.
Check www.newman.com; their web pages list many part number/descriptions
for older DEC parts, but I think their prices are beyond what the typical
VAX hobbyist can afford (personal experience here....)