Subject: A BA23 question
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <sokolov@alpha.CES.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/17/1998 01:36:41
   Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

   First, I want to share my joy with you, and second, I have a question
that some people here may have an answer to.
   On 15-JAN-1998 Richard Parobek, the DEC field service guy who is helping
me, drove up to my office and dropped off the stuff that he had been
accumulating for me. When I came down to the loading dock to meet him, I
saw a nice pile of boxes, one of which had the word "TRASH" scribbled on
it... Then we lifted them to my office, and I sorted my new acquisition. It
turned out to contain two KA630 systems in floorstand BA23 enclosures, two
big MV2000s with expansion adapters (one of them with a 12 MB memory card
and the other with a 4 MB one, that's not counting the 2 MB on the system
board), two terminals, an external RRD40, and a bunch of disks. Some of the
disks were by themselves, some inside the system boxes. There was a total
of 1 RD54, a lot of RD53s, and 2 RZ23s. One of the BA23 boxes also had a
TK50 in it. I have already examined everything except the BA23 boxes.
Apparently each of them was originally a VAXstation II/GPX. One of them
apparently had its QDSS removed, and apparently there were some other
modifications (both boxes show signs of physical tinkering, and one of them
has an I/O distribution panel insert with two SCSI1-looking connectors and
the Dilog logo). I haven't tried disassembling them yet, though, for the
reason described in the next paragraph.
   I'm trying to find a manual with complete FRU removal and replacement
procedures for BA23 boxes. I have an excellent one for BA123 boxes, that's
the technical manual for MicroVAX II 630QB. 630QB was an early variant and
it was made back when they were writing good documentation. Later variants
like 630QE have had their documentation sanitized. I'm pretty sure that
there was a version of MicroVAX II, VAXstation II, or VAXstation II/GPX
contemporary with 630QB but in a BA23. If I knew what it's called I would
be able to get any docs for it, since Richard can pull up any DEC document
by number for me, but I need to know what it's called (a document number
would be great, but the name of the machine variant like 630QB would be
fine too). Does anyone have a clue?

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299