Subject: standalone booting of VS3100-M76
To: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
From: Bertram Barth <bertram@gummo.bbb.sub.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/17/1998 03:53:01
Paul Apprich writes:

> 	I have gotten the VS to boot automatically from DKA0 (DEC's
> cryptic reference to scsi hdd 1). I have the following:
>
>  83 BOOT SYS
> -DKA0
> howto 0x0, bdev 0x2a, booting
> 17608_672+37596 start 0x0
> CPU type 11 not supported by boot
> Let's see how far we get...

This looks like rather old bootblocks/boot. I assume you've dumped the
before-mentioned floppy-image to disk and are booting from that...

> Nboot
> : /netbsd
> open ...
> done. (0)
> 683008+35840+70760 start 0x9a1fc
> _

If my above assumptions are correct, then the image does hold nothing
else but bootblocks/boot and the kernel. Thus apart from your other
problems this image can't give you more than displaying some messages
and end with an error.

> Nothing more from the graphic console and nothing from the printer port.
> Is this kernel strictly for mopbooting?

I assume that you're getting the above message from the printer port.
If yes, then it's rather strange that you're not getting any other
message after the kernel (which is NO special mopboot version) is loaded.

IMHO at the moment it's not worth hunting for the problems with this
old image. You should better try to get 1.3 on your disk and start
analyzing problems from that.

BTW: If you haven't already done that, a good starting point for 1.3
     could be to "dd" the 1.3 bootfloppy-image to /dev/rsd0c, edit
     the disklabel according to your needs, "newfs" the partitions
     (eg. "newfs /dev/rsd0a"), mount the new filesystems, and then
     copy new /boot and /netbsd from the 1.3 distribution to disk
     (or even better the complete distribution) and retry the above...

Ciao,
	bertram