Subject: Re: disklabel and boot code
To: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/15/1998 16:12:02

> disklabel -w -B /dev/sd0a -b VS3KBOOT.BIN RZ24
>
> 'disklabel: /dev/sd0a: Device not configured' was the result.
>
> I repeated the same thing using /dev/sd0c and it worked.
>
> >From what I understand at present, would not the boot code reside on
> /dev/sd0a?

The boot blocks should be the first 16 blocks _on_the_disk_. When there
are no label at the disk only the c partition is configured; therefore
you must write the boot blocks to the c partition. Actually; accesses
to the boot blocks should always go through the c partition because
it should always be the whole disk.

If you instead write:

disklabel -w -B sd0 -b VS3KBOOT.BIN RZ24

then the disklabel program will use the correct device for you.

-- Ragge