Subject: None
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Apprich <psapp@terra.cnct.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/14/1998 03:23:54
	This may sound off-topic,but please bear with me. WHat may appear
to be a waste of bandwidth is actually a letter of gratitude for all of
you putting up with me.

	On 14 January 1998, approimately 0657 UTC (0157 EST), that
vs3100-m76-spx gave me the hatch prompt. The last ten nights I had spent
asking stupid questions, nearly mangling my ISP's filesystems, giving
Altavista a workout of it's young life, and nearly hurling that pizza box
computer on a course following Prospector (the first USA moon mission in
twenty-five years). So far, no problems.

	Perhaps I may refresh your memories concerning how I acquired
this. I had started at my present job in June 1994. A month later, there
was a need to clean out unnecessary product. Among the 'junk' that was to
be trashed, was this lovely workstation computer with no floppy drive, but
it had two 200MB scsi hdd's. At the time I had a 386 DX 25 PC w/8 mb RAM
and a 530Mb SCSI hdd. I thought that I could use the drives if they worked
on the IBM, I would use them for extra space (hard drives were still
expensive then). With the simple running of FDISK and FORMAT, I
unknowlingly wiped out about US$5000 worth of software--VMS or perhaps
Ultrix. I was an ignorant slave bound to the Gates of Hell; now I am not
so ignorant and am in the process of 'securing my freedom'. The SIMMs did
not fit any PC system -- 80 pins. About a year ago, I decided to see if
the system itself were still good. I got what looked like video w/ sync
from the DB15 male in back. Hooked it to a monitor and WHOA! Text! This
unit was still functional. Finding what looked like some kind of prompt, I
threw all sorts of text at it. THe results have been in circulation since
April. I grabbed a Mitsubishi HJ6905ATK color display dirt cheap--it does
not run VGA (40-70 KHz horizontal range)--US$50. When the graphic console
support comes about, I'll be ready. Finally, a there is a box in my home
that WHG can never touch! ;-)

Paul Apprich

P.S. How stable is the disk support and how soon will 1.3 be ready?