Subject: vax system V question
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chuck Browne <chuck@Radix.Net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/13/1998 19:35:22
Hi everyone,

	I just got NetBSD 1.2 up and running on my microvax 3600, and now that it
seems to work properly....

	1. What do I need to build a kernel with ultrix compatibility? It claims
	   to be missing an ecoff header (and what else?)

	2. This is probably really obscure, but the vax I'm replacing with the 3600
	   is an old 8830 which died a few months ago. This 8830 ran something
	   called "VAX System V" which I can't find any info about (except
	   the manual set I have, but that's the usual unix man pages, system
v-flavor).
	   I have some old software that was written for this beast, which I loaded
	   onto the 3600, but it doesn't handle the particular binary variety very
	   well.  Running "file" on any of them tells me that they are
	   "CLIPPER COFF" - type files. Does NetBSD have a chance of running these
	   things? They look statically compiled.

Thanks for any help. It took me a while to get NetBSD up and running on the
3600,
which was running VMS when I got it. Had to become a VMS expert in order to
write out boot tapes :-) While I'm at it, I should mention that I had to
jump through
one extra hoop before getting bootable tapes off of VMS - I was able to hook
up the 3600 to my ethernet and ftp the tape images over, but they
transferred over
as variable-length record files, not as the 512-byte fixed length record
files,
so writing them to tape included the length bytes. I had to use the vms
CONVERT
utility to change them from variable to fixed before I wrote them to tape.
I'll write this up and send it to the list for posterity soon.....

	Thanks,

	Chuck