Subject: Re: VaxStation 4000 model 60
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/10/1998 11:08:34
I suspect dhrystones are not a good benchmark.

<factor of 60 :-)  Even a 386DX/16 would likely fair well against a
<MicroVAX II with the dhrystone benchmark. But I've a feeling that floatin

It may.  VAX ws not a number crusher specifically, though it did well for
that it ws a timeshare/multiprocessing machine and optimized for that. and
it must not have been to shabby as it managed to be at the top or near the
top of the supermini heap for lots of years.

<point ops would be a strong point for the MicroVAX II, and my gut also
<tells me that it will handle heavy process loads better.

A microvax-11 with 9meg and two rd54s can support a half dozen users
running VMS DECwindows terminals, what 386/486 can do that?  To make it
easy/fair we have to give the X86 a real OS like a flavor of *nix so it
can even multiprocess/timeshare.  I suspect to get the same overal
performance as a microvax-II or 3100m30(server) we'd have to be in the
486DX4 class.

Allison