Subject: Re: Got It (VAX8200)
To: Michael Sokolov <mxs46@po.CWRU.Edu>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/09/1998 19:14:25
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

>    Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE> wrote:
> > Much better to connect a terminal to the drive and talk with it. You can
> > run more diagnostics, get better error reporting and don't depend on
> > lamps that might be burned-out...
> > Both the RA81 and RA82 has a terminal connector inside it, if you open up
> > the back part.
> >
> > Isn't this in the user manual???
>    Oh sure, the terminal connector itself is documented, but the commands
> really aren't. I guess I need the technical manual for that. I should get
> it soon though, so we'll see. BTW, the terminal connector is not in the
> back. On RA81, slide the drive out of the cabinet and open the logic access
> cover on the top (no need to raise the upper deck). On RA82, it's even
> easier, just lower the plastic front cover (just as if you were cleaning
> the air filter). Again, no need to raise the upper deck, and RA82 doesn't
> have a logic access cover on the top.

Please note the difference between "in the back" and "open up the back
part". :-)

Also, if you had bothered connecting a terminal, you ought to have found
out that there is a help command... :-)

Not that I can remember if I've disassembled any RA82, since they are more
reliable, but from my memory, the physical design is the same, so what do
you mean it doesn't have a logic access cover on the top???

	Johnny