Subject: Re: Microvax 3100/30 KA45
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Sokolov <mxs46@po.CWRU.Edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/08/1998 23:18:43
   Carl Makin <Carl.Makin@aipo.gov.au> wrote to me instead of port-vax that
he has got the following reply:
> > I have a Microvax 3100/30, KA45 board number with a TZK10 tape drive
> > (QIC-525) and 16MB RAM.
>
> This 3100 should be supported.
   No! Apparently the person who has written that was confused by the
number 3100. This number is really MEANINGLESS. What matters is the number
of the system board, which, as I have said before, should be KA44 rather
than KA45. Normally, if a machine has both MicroVAX and VAXstation
versions, you would expect them to be named in exactly the same way except
that one would have "MicroVAX" and the other would have "VAXstation" in the
name. This is true with IIs and 2000s, but not with 3100s.
   NetBSD/vax apparently supports machines based on KA410, KA42[0], and
KA43 system boards (the zero is bracketed in KA42[0] because I don't know
whether it should be there or not). KA42[0] is used in VS3100 M30, M38,
M40, and M48. NetBSD/vax supports these VAXstation models, and that's what
people usually have in mind when they say "NetBSD/vax runs on 3100s".
However, that does not mean that it runs on MV3100 M30 and M40. These two
DO NOT correspond to VS3100 M30 and M40! The correspondence between MV3100
and VS3100 models is as follows:
   +--------+---------+
   | MV3100 | VS31000 |
   +--------+---------+
   | M10    | M30     |
   | M10e   | M38     |
   | M20    | M40     |
   | M20e   | M48     |
   All of the abovementioned machines are based on some version of KA42[0]
and are apparently supported by NetBSD/vax. MV3100 M30 and M40, on the
other hand, are based on the KA44 system board, which as far as I know is
unsupported.
   I hope that this clarifies things for everyone.

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: mxs46@po.cwru.edu