Subject: Re: 1.3 problems/crashes
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mike Young <young@ecn.purdue.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/04/1998 09:35:16
-> From: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
-> To: "'port-vax@NetBSD.ORG'" <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
-> Date: Sun, 4 Jan 1998 06:36:59 +0100
->
-> (On my VAXstation 2000, 6MB, RD54, running the 1.3_ALPHA snapshot):
->
->
-> I also have an interesting variation on the date problem. When I boot my
-> VS2K it is always back in 1970, but the day of year and time of day is
-> correct. I have to boot into single-user where I can set the date
-> without crashing, set the date to 1998 and continue to multi-user:
->
-> [...]
-> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:
-> Don't login as root, use the su command.
-> # date
-> Sun Jan  4 05:06:32 GMT 1970
-> # date 9801040507
-> Sun Jan  4 05:07:00 GMT 1998
-> # ^D
-> [boot continues to multi-user where /etc/localtime is read and the time
-> is adjusted to the correct GMT+01]
->
-> I can't believe this is a problem with with the hardware clock as the
-> time and date (except year) are always correct (even after power off,
-> wait 30 minutes, power on)?
->
-> Anyone else with a VS2K seen this?

	Yup. Mine does this also. Same symptoms. Same hardware.
->
-> BTW, I also run ntpdate(8) at boot and minor adjustments (seconds) won't
-> crash the system:
->
-> standard daemons: update cron.
-> starting network daemons: printer inetd.
-> starting local daemons: 4 Jan 06:08:54 ntpdate[164]: step time server
-> 193.69.224
-> .22 offset 3.975120 sec
->  xntpd Samba.
-> Sun Jan  4 06:08:57 CET 1998
-> Jan  4 06:09:02 hybelvax init: kernel security level changed from 0 to 1
->
-> NetBSD/vax (hybelvax.bitcon.no) (console)
->
-> login:
->
-> However, if I don't adjust the date (year) in single-user first,
-> ntpdate(8) will crash the system when it tries to adjust the date 28
-> years forward in time...

	Mine too. Exact same symptoms.
->
-> Gunnar