Subject: Re: I can't get troff to work
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/23/1997 19:30:44
On Tue, 23 Dec 1997, maximum entropy wrote:
> This is a known bug in the VAX port.  You can compile and
> install groff without optimization, and use that to do your make
> build.  Alternatively, set the environment variable NOMAN and the
> build process won't build any man pages.

Ahh... it works now.
Nevertheless, this is very disturbing.  Is some bug lurking somewhere
deep in the VAX gcc code?  I'm using that compiler to rebuild the entire
system, including the kernel.  This is not good.  OTOH I suppose groff
could be at fault here if it is expecting something from the compiler that
it has nor right to expect.

Should I turn off *all* optimization just to be sure?  What I would really
like to do is compile stuff with more optimization (-O2 at least), but I
don't want any more executables that dump core (or break in other
weird and wonderful ways) because of optimization.
(Should I just replace gcc with the old unix C compiler? :-)

|  Boris Gjenero <bgjenero@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca>              |
|  Home page:  http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~bgjenero/     |
|  "Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to   |
|  depend greatly on our own point of view." - Obi-Wan Kenobi, ROTJ  |