Subject: Re: le0 timeouts?
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: P.D.Helliwell <P.D.Helliwell@e-eng.hull.ac.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/17/1997 08:37:37
Hi

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Brian D Chase wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Dec 1997, P.D.Helliwell wrote:
>
> > we keep getting "le0 timeout" on the /var/log/messages file.  It was
> > running routed when it didn't need to so we killed that and it doesn't do
> > it as much.  Now it only tends to do it when there is heavy disk access
> > over NFS.  Two theorys spring to mind, either a problem with the VS or a
> > problem with the linux 2.0.29 (slackware) NFS server.  I remember a
>
> The "le0 timeout" is a common error message.  You tend to see it most
> often on systems with Linux acting as the NFS server.  There are some
> performance issues with Linux 2.0's NFS support.  They're supposed to be
> fixed under 2.1, but I haven't compared 2.1 with 2.0 just yet.  At home
> I'm serving off of OpenBSD and at work I've got it served off an IRIX 6.2
> system.  Both of those NFS servers are better behaved, but they still
> suffer from "le0 timeout".
>
> -brian.
> ---
> Brian Chase   <(o)> <(o)>   http://world.std.com/~bdc/   VAXZilla LIVES!!!

Many thanks to the people who've responded.  It's good to know it's not
just us.  I'm still really pleased to have got this far.  I'm sure we'll
make something of it, we still have a few vaxen to go.  Soon we'll have a
corner full of vaxen all running NetBSD :*) - Oh, and the one linux NFS
server.

Thank you :*)

Phil

|o| Phil Helliwell                Dogs do           O  |o|
|o| Electronic Eng.              *NOT* like        /|\ |o|
|o| University of Hull,UK        unicyclists.      <<  |o|
|o| My views are my own :*)                         0  |o|