Subject: RE: VAXstation 3100 serial console.
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: P.D.Helliwell <P.D.Helliwell@e-eng.hull.ac.uk>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/21/1997 08:35:08
Hi

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate! 21-Nov-1997 0641 +0000 wrote:

> P.D.Helliwell@e-eng.hull.ac.uk writes:
>
> >I've just got two VS3100/M42 machines.  They both have monitors but no
>
> There is no M42 (other than the one I occasionally drive along!).

Hmm, I was a bit dubious about that one myself.  OK, on the back (I'm new
to this) it says Model: KA42A - B which I *think* has something to do
with the processor.  Oh, it was bought at about the same time as a
MicroVAX 3300 if that's any help.

> >mice so I'm trying to (eventually) netboot them to NetBSD/vax.  My first
> >step was to try and get the serial consoles working.  So I got an MMJ to
> >MMJ lead, a H8571-A adapter which is from what I have found out an
> >adapter from DEConnect to a VT* terminal.  I connected an origial VT100
> >to it and switched switch S1 (on the VS) down.  I get nothing, but from
> >the graphics console it will get to the monitor prompt no problem.  I
> >just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this.
>
> Make sure that the connection is to the printer port and not the comms port if
> you want to use the alternate console. And the switch needs to be up not down.

Hmm, unfortunately for me it was in the printer port and I tried the
switch both up and down.  Still no joy, I just find it hard to beleve
that something is up with both of them so I'll keep trying.

> Antonio
>
> Antonio Carlini                            Mail: carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com
> DECnet-Plus for OpenVMS Engineering
> Digital Equipment Corporation              Worton Grange, Reading, England

PHil

|o| Phil Helliwell                Dogs do           O  |o|
|o| Electronic Eng.              *NOT* like        /|\ |o|
|o| University of Hull,UK        unicyclists.      <<  |o|
|o| My views are my own :*)                         0  |o|