Subject: Re: VAXstation 3100 serial console.
To: None <P.D.Helliwell@e-eng.hull.ac.uk>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/20/1997 12:44:42
>From: "P.D.Helliwell" <P.D.Helliwell@e-eng.hull.ac.uk>
>
>I've just got two VS3100/M42 machines.  They both have monitors but no
>mice so I'm trying to (eventually) netboot them to NetBSD/vax.  My first
>step was to try and get the serial consoles working.  So I got an MMJ to
>MMJ lead, a H8571-A adapter which is from what I have found out an
>adapter from DEConnect to a VT* terminal.  I connected an origial VT100
>to it and switched switch S1 (on the VS) down.  I get nothing, but from
>the graphics console it will get to the monitor prompt no problem.  I
>just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this.

I think you want the console switch in the up position, not down, for
a serial console.  Also, you didn't say which port you plugged into on
the VAX.  On my VS's the console port is the one with the printer
icon.  Make sure the terminal is set at 9600bps, 8 bits, no parity, 1
stop bit.  Once you have all that set up right, power up the vax and
you should see some activity on the terminal after about 5-10 seconds.

Good luck,
entropy