Subject: VS4000
To: None <"tgpt@pas.rochester.edu"@vbormc.vbo.dec.com>
From: Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate! 19-Nov-1997 1445 +0000 <carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/19/1997 16:38:41
"tgpt@pas.rochester.edu" "Tom Guptill" writes:

>Are the VS4000 machines all similiar with just simple controller
>differences, etc. or are they going to be a difficult porting job as they
>start to become available to us?  I ask because we're retiring 3 4000VLCs

The CPUs are different. IIRC VLC is a SOC, VS4000-60 is a Maraiah and
VS4000-9x are all NVAX. The SCSI controllers and ethernets may well be identical
- I don't have that info handy. But someone would have to do the CPU work first
(and, AFAIK, none of those CPUs are used in any currently supported NetBSD VAX
platform).

>and a 4000/60 when their licenses expire, and possibly a 4000/90 soon
>after.  These machines are modern enough that they're actually still
>somewhat respectable (on a typical day, our big 4000/60 supports more
>interactive users than any other single machine in our dept.), and might be
>a really appealing platform once the hardware is available.

Donate a VS4000-90 and I'm sure you'll find plenty of volunteers :-)

Antonio

Antonio Carlini                            Mail: carlini@marvin.enet.dec.com
DECnet-Plus for OpenVMS Engineering
Digital Equipment Corporation              Worton Grange, Reading, England