Subject: Re: How many drives are in your vVaxII world?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: David Clarke <Dave.Clarke@swi055.ericsson.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/18/1997 08:23:51
> From port-vax-owner-ekadece=swi055.ericsson.se@NetBSD.ORG Tue Nov 18 06:01:04 1997
> Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 01:01:23 -0500

> <> In the interest of keeping this message short: Does anybody know any
> <> reason why more than one RD31 (20M Seagate drives) won't work in a BA23
>
> <If I recall correctly, you can only put one hard driver in a BA23.
> <That's all, no more.
>
> Not true,  I've been running an rd54 and an rd53 for years.  also I've
> put a pair of RD52s in and a RX33 (laying on top).  I suspect that the
> RD31 is not recognized.

If I remeber correctly the ba23 supplied with the uvax has only the single pair
of drive switches on the front panel, whereas, the pdp-11 version has two
pairs. Without the second pair, and if you use the standard cabling the effect
is that the second drive is not enabled and write protected. So you need
some switches, ( or hard wire), to assert those signal to the drive. I haven't
looked recently, but the pcb behind the front panel may have all the holes in
the circuit board to allow you to add the two extra switches as in the pdp
version of the ba23.

Dave.