Subject: How many drives are in your vVaxII world?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <zach@acsu.buffalo.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/17/1997 17:46:13
As of late I've run into some problems with my uVaxII, and attaching
extra drives. I think I've got the hang of it, now if I can just get
at the RD53 I trashed, and maybe at my files there...

In the interest of keeping this message short: Does anybody know any
reason why more than one RD31 (20M Seagate drives) won't work in a BA23
chassis? I've tried many combinations, including permutations using RD5x
drives (where 1<= x <=4). Most of the time I get a lockup.  I watch it
poll drive 0, and then drive 1, but it never releases drive one and the
drive stays active (accessed? The light goes on, but nobody's home.)

A friend suggested removing the terminating resistors, best I can make
out it's the resistor pack on the bottom of these puppies. I can't seem
to find one on the RD54 unless it's hard-soldered in. Assuming that's
the terminator on the 31's, I've tried with both in, with either out,
and with both out. The results never change, and even without this
resistor pack drive 0 still boots when solo. That fact never changes, I
can always boot solo. I've even had some cases where the machine
reports 3 drives when there are 2. That I don't understand either.

In all cases, drive 0 is at target 3, and drive 1 is at target 4.
For the curious... Giving them both the same target id makes the system
attempt to access both. This mostly has bad results, although I had one
case where I thought the results were usable.

Oh yeah, the configuration when all this was going on:
BA23 chasis
	Slot 0: KA630 module
	Slot 1: 4M memory board
	Slot 2: RQDX3 (rev 3, I think)