Subject: Re: Anybody for graphics on a 3100?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <zach@acsu.buffalo.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/13/1997 11:18:10
Thanks for the info/support.

I understand the SCSI issue more clearly now. The cable will be fun to
find, I wonder if it's in any way 'standard'. I've come across a cable
company that'll probably have 68 pin to <you name it> cables.
Anybody have any luck with 3rd party stuff like this? Like many others,
this is a hobby for me so there ain't a lot of $$ to throw at it.
I'm sure the DMA/PIO work is going well. I for one appreciate it having
gotten as far as it has!

I'll definitely pick up the ball on the video driver. Looks like that's
an area in need of help.  I haven't got a monochrome 30 to work with (that
I know of) so it'll be good to have a willing victim .. errr helper. :-)

Thanks for the tip on it being 'pmax', even if that's only something
that describes the processor. At least it gives me a reference of sorts.
Thanks Dave, for pointing out the fact that the frame buffers are different,
keeps me from following a dead end.

So far I've spent about 8 hrs scanning the web for info. Not a lot out
there, and yet there's tons. I expected not to find the register set
and addressing in the customer manuals, I've downloaded about 50M of
compressed vax archives to scan through for info. Exhausting that, my
next search will probably be on comp.sys.dec.   What I don't have (yet)
and am in search of is the address/register set and details about what
to write to what registers.  I'd prefer not to work blind, since that's
a good way to end up blind with a fried video subsystem.  So yes, I'm
at square 1. We'll need the same info for the mono '30's.  I have
learned there are the two color options, GPX and SPX, whose differences
seem to only be the 864x1024 or 1024x1280 resolution, and that there
were 16" and 19" monitors. If I find out there are differences that I
can't test, I'll be sure to speak up.

Zach