Subject: KA630 woes...
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Guptill <tgpt@pas.rochester.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/31/1997 11:16:01
I'm having some problems with my VSII/GPX.  I finally tracked down an RD54
to replace my RD53 (which is a bit too small), and I'm installing off of the
two TK50 tapes I was working with before.

I think I've tracked down the problem to the disk labelling step.  I used:

ra(0,0,0)

as the disk I wanted to label, which seems correct to me (the disk is DUA0:)
and it doesn't return any errors when I label the disk, but when I hit "q",
then enter "ra(0,0,0)" again, it says "no disk label".  Strangely enough,
when I do a "show" on the supposedly unlabeled disk, it shows me the layout
I just entered.

I've tried all manner of other device names: ra(0,0), ra(0,0,1), etc.  None
of them return any new errors, but none of them work either.

If I move on to the copy step, everything works just fine (no errors), but
when I get to the booting stage, it keeps saying that it can't find the
kernel on ra(0,0,1)netbsd (Controller 0, Unit 0, Partition 1 if I don't miss
my guess).  If I try to boot just "ra(0,0,1)", it dies with "DBL ERR".

Unfortunately, I don't have a diag. tape for this machine, so I have no way
to test the function of the disk.  However, it *did* try to boot VMS off of
it when I typed "boot DUA0:", so I take that to mean the disk is at least
marginally functional.

I hope I'm just missing something silly here.  Anyone have any suggestions?

- Tom